B.K.S. Iyengar is considered a living legend in the realm of yoga teaching; compassionate, patient, and wise, B.K.S. has helped many students on the path towards personal wellness by establishing a balanced, mind-body-spirit approach to practice.
His poetic style of expression also makes for some great yoga inspiration – so here are some of his best-known thoughts to inspire the spark for practice in beginners and experts alike:
1. “Healthy plants and trees yield abundant flowers and fruits. Similarly, from a healthy person, smiles and happiness shine forth like the rays of the sun.”
Yoga can be like water that nurtures the flowers of the soul!
2. “Your body exists in the past and your mind exists in the future. In yoga, they come together in the present.”
Simple yet powerful wisdom – yoga is all about living here and now.
3. “Illuminated emancipation, freedom, unalloyed and untainted bliss await you, but you have to choose to embark on the Inward Journey to discover it.”
Why yoga over exercise? Because it’s a mind-body path – healing more than the physical self.
4. “Health is a state of complete harmony of the body, mind and spirit. When one is free from physical disabilities and mental distractions, the gates of the soul open.”
Yoga can awaken things within us that cannot be measured outwardly – such as balance, grace and harmony in life.
5. “Yoga is the golden key that unlocks the door to peace, tranquility and joy.”
The end goal of yoga is never a toned body, but a stable and compassionate soul.