Time is the currency of our lives. It is ours to spend, save, and to give. We are all given 24 hours with each new sunrise. And ultimately, what we do in those hours is what makes life meaningful.
Here are six time-themed thoughts on life, inspired by quotes from philosophers and spiritual teachers past and present.
1. This moment is key. This very minute is a tiny yet important page in our story.
The future is completely open, and we are writing it moment to moment. – Pema Chodron
2. Today determines tomorrow. Look around – what you are doing is what you will become.
As for the future, your task is not to foresee it but to enable it. – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
3. A new day is a new life. A sunrise starts a new beginning.
Begin at once to live and count each separate day as a separate life. – Seneca
4. Happiness, too, is but a moment in time. Have the wisdom to capture it.
The whole life of a man is but a point in time; let us enjoy it. – Plutarch
5. We cannot live in past or future. We can only live in this present moment.
Our way to practice is one step at a time, one breath at a time. – Shunryu Suzuki
6. Time flies. Life is wonderful, and goes by fast. Open your eyes to the possibilities this hour presents.
Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand-and melting like a snowflake. – Francis Bacon Sr.