“Thank you” – two simple words with the power to change our entire outlook on life. Here are 10 great reasons why this phrase of gratitude belongs in the forefront of our daily interactions.
1. Saying thank you keeps us humble:
“Ingratitude produces pride while gratitude produces humility.” – Orrin Woodward
2. Saying thank you makes us fully appreciate our blessings:
“Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
3. Saying thank you makes us feel more optimistic:
“It is impossible to be negative while we are giving thanks.” – Donald Curtis
4. Saying thank you encourages compassion, kindness and love:
“A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all other virtues.” – Cicero
5. Saying thank you shows selflessness:
“Make it a habit to tell people thank you. To express your appreciation, sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return.” – Ralph Marston
6. Saying thank you is good for the spirit:
“Saying ‘thank you’ is more than good manners. It is good spirituality.” – Alfred Painter
7. Saying thank you is good for the heart:
“Gratitude is the memory of the heart.” – Jean Baptiste Massieu
8. Saying thank you can be a kind of prayer:
“If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.” – Meister Eckhart
9. Saying thank you inspires wonder in our existence:
“We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” – Thornton Wilder
10. Saying thank you connects us to the goodness within others:
“Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” – Voltaire
Unlike many phrases in the English language, “thank you” never diminishes in meaning with repetition. When we use it to guide our conversations and structure our relationships, it can be amazing how often we start to hear “thank you” in return.
Mind Fuel Daily was founded to help readers find inspiration and purpose in every day. We believe that each person is capable of finding his or her best life here, in the present moment, and our mission is to provide the spark that moves you to positive action and thought.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Meaningful articles and readings. One email a week. That's it!