Most cultures on this planet have used drums to enhance their spiritual practices. From small finger drums to large horse-drawn drums, people use the percussive beat to call in good energy, clear out bad energy, and put themselves in a shamanic or meditative trance. Your body easily connects with the beat of a drum. Here is how you can employ drums and drumming for your own spiritual growth.
You Had the Beat Since Conception
One theory of why humans connect so readily with drum beats is because, for 9 months, you were surrounded by your mother's heart beat. That constant pattern, "lub-dub, lub-dub", at an average of 60 beats per minute, was the first sound you heard and the first vibration you felt. Hearing a drum brings back the feeling of comfort and safety that you knew for the first 9 months of your existence.
A Sample Meditation Using a Drum
Get a small, inexpensive hand drum to start with. One you can strike with a soft stick. If you connect with using a drum for meditation, you'll want to experiment with other types until you find what works best for you.
- Sit in a chair with both feet on the floor and the drum resting lightly in your lap.
- Take several deep breaths slowly in and out, breathing in deeply through your nose and down into your stomach, then out through your mouth.
- Raise the drum to your heart level and begin a slow and steady beat. Two beats then pause, two beats then pause. Lub-dub, lub-dub, just like a heart beating. Keep your pace at 60 to 80 beats per minute or roughly one pair of beats each second.
- Take a few moments to settle into your pace.
- Focus on hearing the drum beat. Feel the vibration through your arms and into your body. Take deep breaths and breathe in the vibrations.
- Put the command in your mind to "Remember" and allow your body to drift back to those first months when it was surrounded by this sound and vibration.
- After a few moments in this state, ask yourself a question or just open yourself up to some bit of wisdom that your soul has to offer you today. You will get some interesting and powerful feedback when you're in this meditative, womb-like state.
Some people have good experiences meditating while a drumming CD is playing. A meditation group can be organized where you rotate the responsibility of drumming to a different individual each time. Or have each person bring their drum and have your own drumming meditation circle.
You may find that the addition of drumming to your meditation practice increases the ways your mind can focus and receive deep wisdom from within you.