Life is too short to follow someone else’s plan – so whether you’re already a trailblazing adventurer or you’re just starting on your unique path, here are seven ways to stay original in everything you do.
1. Do what makes you smile. Follow the roads that make you happy, not the roads that make other people happy. Find your bliss and pursue it – and originality will surely follow.
2. Nurture creativity. Make space in your life for dreams and imaginative ideas – because these things will help you find your unique creative voice.
3. Take old things in new directions. Do the same things – but differently. Turn convention upside down, and create the change you want to see in the world for a more confident sense of self.
4. Be willing to risk. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Trying new things, even without certainty and security, leads to greater self-confidence, and authentic character.
5. Be willing to share. Once you blaze your own trail, lend your expertise to someone who may just be beginning on the same path.
6. Never, never give up. Don’t allow minor obstacles to get in the way of your dreams. Be original, take a stand, and fight for your independence.
7. Be true to your values. Don’t compromise anything you do based on someone else’s plans for the future. Take time to reconnect with the values and virtues that are important to you in particular.