The word “luminary” (Latin: “light”) describes people whoinspire others. It can also refer to celestial stars- because they spread lightin the universe.
Here are 9 quotes examining the literary, philosophical andspiritual nature of stars- both the heavenly kind and the kind that walk amongus:
1. “Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and seeyourself running with them.” –Marcus Aurelius
Be present as you live, in this time and space. The futureis unknowable- create light in your life today.
2. “If the stars should appear but one night every thousandyears how man would marvel and stare.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Never take this life for granted; breathe in each moment asif it might not come again.
3. “Only in the darkness, can you see the stars.” – MartinLuther King, Jr.
Dark circumstances can bring out the best in us, helping usshine for others.
4. “A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten thedarkness, leading out into the expanding universe.” – Madeleine L’Engle
Literature connects us to our history the same way that thenight sky reflects the ancient past.
5. “It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but inourselves.” – Shakespeare
Trust in yourself above all other notions of fate and predetermination.Our lives are what we make them to be.
6. “Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on theground.” – Theodore Roosevelt
Picture your dreams when you look into the night sky, anduse the tools you have in this world to bring those dreams closer.
7. “What makes night within us may leave stars.” – VictorHugo
The absence of light does not extinguish the human spiritwithin, and the times that test you may make you even brighter than you werebefore.
8. “The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.” – HenryWadsworth Longfellow
Remember that we cannot see the entire composition of ourlives in one sitting or one season. Be patient enough and you will always seethe lights again.
9. “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking atthe stars.” – Oscar Wilde
We may not be able to choose our current situations, but wecan choose where to place our focus for the future.
A closing thought: we can never know just how deeply ouractions and words impact the lives of others. Try to shine in whatever you do,and someday you may be surprised that your example brightened the way forsomeone else!