Happiness is a natural state of being. When we laugh or smile (or even think of something positive), that feeling of joy we get is usually accompanied by a freeing sense of calm – an experience that returns us to our most natural identity.
Sometimes when life gets busy, we have to go a little deeper to experience this natural happiness. Yet once we realize that happiness comes from within, we can do a whole lot each day to restore and replenish our natural joy. A few examples:
1. Follow Passions – Pursue the activities that stimulate creativity and imagination. A helpful mantra – “always make time for what makes you lose track of time.”
Don’t worry about what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive. – Howard Thurman
2. Stay Thankful – Staying thankful for the simple things in life can make a huge difference in daily attitude. When we stop, breathe, and look around, we see that there is really a lot to be grateful for.
It is not joy that makes us grateful. It is gratitude that makes us joyful. – David Rast
3. Smile Often – A smile is a sentence without words, a language without speech, a song without music. Smile whenever possible (Hint: it is always possible).
Use your smile to change the world; don’t let the world change your smile. – Unknown
4. Laugh More – Release inhibitions and let the laughter flow. We all knew how to laugh before we could speak – return to that early experience of living in joy.
A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life. – William Arthur Ward
5. Think Positive – It is not so much our life events as it is how we perceive them, which so very often determines our happiness. Keep the mind focused on what is good, healing and hopeful about existence.
The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. – Eckhart Tolle