Peace is but a single word – when echoed by many it becomes a rallying cry for harmony in this world we all share. Here are ten short but significant meditations on peace – gathered from teachers whose own lives helped illuminate this potent philosophy.
- The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.
– Mahatma Gandhi
- It is my conviction that there is no way to peace - peace is the way.
– Thich Nhat Hanh
- If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
– Mother Teresa
- Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
- He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the world.
– Marcus Aurelius
- If you wish to experience peace, provide peace for another.
– The Dalai Lama
- Only when there are many people who are pools of peace, silence, understanding, will war disappear.
- Be gentle first with yourself if you wish to be gentle with others.
– Lama Yesche
- Complete peace equally reigns between two mental waves.
– Swami Sivananda
- This mind is the doubting mind, and in the doubting mind we can never feel the presence of peace. We can feel the presence of peace only in the loving heart.
– Sri Chinmoy
Words of wisdom can inspire us to find our own voices. And gradually, as the voices outside of us and within us rise in volume, we awaken to this wonderful possibility – that this thing we so desire, peace, may already exist within us.