When kindness is overlooked, we miss a valuable opportunity to grow and learn about ourselves and others – here are 10 brief but powerful thoughts on why kindness matters in even the smallest moments of our lives.
1. Mindfulness – kindness determines our intentions each day, beginning with ourselves.
The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others. (Sonya Friedman)
2. Self-Worth – kindness above material gain reveals the true value of our existence.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. (Winston Churchill)
3. Self-Renewal – when we reach out to help another, it is we who benefit.
It is one of the most beautiful compensations of life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
4. Spiritual Growth – kindness nurtures the parts of the soul that do not feel rain and sunshine.
Praise is like sunlight to the human spirit: we cannot flower and grow without it. (Jess Lair)
5. Meaningfulness – kindness reminds us that the simplest actions can mean everything.
The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention. (Oscar Wilde)
6. Initiative – kindness spurs us to be proactive in changing the world around us.
Don’t wait for people to be friendly. Show them how. (Unknown)
7. Perception – kindness teaches us to view the best within others.
Always be mindful of the kindness and not the faults of others. (Buddha)
8. Being Change – kindness within affects the world without
When deeds and words are in accord, the whole world is transformed. (Chuang Tzu)
9. Happiness – kindness makes us feel good, simply put.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. (Dalai Lama)
10. Thoughtfulness – kindness reminds us we are inextricably tied to one another in this life.
We may have all come in different ships, but we’re in the same boat now. (Martin Luther King Jr.)