The word “luminary” (Latin: “light”) describes people who inspire others. It can also refer to celestial stars- because they spread light in the universe.
Here are 9 quotes examining the literary, philosophical and spiritual nature of stars- both the heavenly kind and the kind that walk among us:
1. “Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see
yourself running with them.” –Marcus Aurelius
Be present as you live, in this time and space. The future is unknowable- create light in your life today.
2. “If the stars should appear but one night every thousand
years how man would marvel and stare.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Never take this life for granted; breathe in each moment as if it might not come again.
3. “Only in the darkness, can you see the stars.” – Martin
Luther King, Jr.
Dark circumstances can bring out the best in us, helping us shine for others.
4. “A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the
darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.” – Madeleine L’Engle
Literature connects us to our history the same way that the night sky reflects the ancient past.
5. “It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in
ourselves.” – Shakespeare
Trust in yourself above all other notions of fate and predetermination. Our lives are what we make them to be.
6. “Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the
ground.” – Theodore Roosevelt
Picture your dreams when you look into the night sky, and use the tools you have in this world to bring those dreams closer.
7. “What makes night within us may leave stars.” – Victor
The absence of light does not extinguish the human spirit within, and the times that test you may make you even brighter than you were before.
8. “The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.” – Henry
Remember that we cannot see the entire composition of our lives in one sitting or one season. Be patient enough and you will always see the lights again.
9. “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at
the stars.” – Oscar Wilde
We may not be able to choose our current situations, but we can choose where to place our focus for the future.
A closing thought: we can never know just how deeply our actions and words impact the lives of others. Try to shine in whatever you do, and someday you may be surprised that your example brightened the way for someone else!